My Babies

My Babies

Monday, January 28, 2019

A Club I Never Want To Join

I have had a few friends that have lost children.  One had a 17 year old daughter murdered.  Two had grown sons (19 & 29) to die due to overdoses.  One had a son to die as a sophomore in college.  One had a daughter die at 21 due to a sudden brain aneurysm.  And then this week a sweet and very dear family at church had a 20 year old son to die by suicide.  My heart is just broken for them.  One of my friends whose son died of alcohol poisoning said that this was a club that nobody ever wanted to be a member of....and I so agree.  This recent young man had struggled terrible with depression.  You would have never known it.  He always seemed so happy and full of life.  He was a football captain in high school.  On several other teams.  Did well grade wise.  Faithful in church.  Lots and lots of friends.  But....you never really know people.  At the funeral there must have been close to a 1000 people attending.  So many young people.  So many tears.  His sweet sister got up to talk of her little brother and how he struggled with depression as a young man.  How she encouraged people that if this was an issue in their life to talk about it.  To not be embarrassed or view it as weak.  That boys' poor mama had to be held up on either side as she walked in she was sobbing so hard.  My own heart broke for her.  That precious daddy......he just looked so sad and so lost in his sadness.  I had the privilege of helping with the meal our church provides for the families at funerals.  I hugged that mama and she said , "If only one person came to know the Lord through the service it was all worth it."  Oh.  My.  Word.  How brave.  Three people did get saved at the funeral that our Pastor preached and he hit it home too.  But could I say that?  Could I?   I really and truly do not know.  I don't ever want to.  I know I will spend eternity with my girls but to bury them before me?  That is just a horror story.  I know as a believer that God pours out His grace as we need it and this family so needs it right now.  By the gallons.  They know that their son knew the Lord and they will one day be reunited with him.  In a moment of despair that poor boy listened to the enemy but while he may have won that battle he did not win the war.  But the agony of this world will seem forever I am sure.  Will the years ease their pain?  Will joy come back?  Only with the Lord and His abounding, endless grace.  I am praying for them often as are many.  If you read this.....you too, please pray.

No comments: