My Babies

My Babies

Saturday, March 7, 2009

The Look

Hey Y'all,

Have you ever gotten "The Look" from someone? Or maybe given "The Look" to someone? The good Lord knows I have delivered it and often. My children say, "Oh no, you just got "the look" from mom." Many times in their lives they got it from me. Whether in church, the mall, a doctors' office or anywhere that certain behaviors and attitudes were needed. I am sure you know what it looks like too. Eyebrows raised, eyes set in stone, mouth tight and firm, jaw just set, head slightly cocked to one side and sometimes your hand is placed just so on your hip. sometimes that might even come in handy for a quick demonstration of special attention getting. You get my drift..... One day my grandchildren will fear the dreaded "Look" from their own mothers and then I can hug them and love on them and over their precious heads give my daughters...."The Look"

There is also another kind of "Look". This is the one we give when we are being just so nice and sweet but when we turn our heads we roll our eyes, shake our heads and often lowly groan. I saw this look this week at the bank. A sweet teller I really like was working the drive-thru. I was at the counter talking to a friend (imagine that). An older man pulled up in his pick-up truck and hollered into the window. "Hey there sweet thang!" She politely smiled and said, "Hello, Mr. Carlson, how are you today?" That is all the ammo he needed. He proceeded to tell her all about his hunting dogs, his back ache and how much money he wished he had in her bank. On and on and on. When she wished him a good day and thanks for his business (for the 20th time) he said, "I wish I was your boyfriend you purty thang." She smiled and turned her head and then I saw it. "The Look" She rolled her eyes and sighed. I was totally sympathetic to her. Lots of people tell you that he is just an old man and he is harmless. I say when do you cross the line into old and harmless? I think he was just old and irritating. I know that sounds mean but get real people. When I am cranky and fussy and plain out mean. People give me "The Look" and think some pretty unkind things. I am sure of this even though I have never done that! OH, was that a lightening bolt?! Anyway, when do you cross into the " she is just an old lady" territory? That is "The Look" I want. The one where people think I am quirky and cute in my attitude. I cannot wait until I can give and get "Looks" that are much more appreciated by the recipients. I am quite sure that as weird as I am now that I will be even weirder and quirkier when I am old and then...the "Looks" I will get!

Bless Y'all,

Cindy

No comments: