My Babies

My Babies

Tuesday, April 17, 2018

What Matters

This past weekend David and I attended a Marriage Seminar at our church.  Some people asked us why in the world we were going since we have only been married a little over a year!  Well....our marriage matters.  A lot!  We both know that marriage is hard at best and we both believe that good, Christian advice goes a very long way.  Plus....who does not want a better marriage??  It was held Friday night and all day Saturday by a husband/wife team.  However, our Pastor called me on Thursday (the day before!) and asked me if i would lead the breakout session for the wives and before i could answer he put the husband of the seminar on the phone.  He explained how his wife was more of a support system than a leader and really was not comfortable leading.  I prayed a quick second (and I mean quick) and said....gulp....yes.  I had one friend who told me to call back and say NO!  That I was in no way equipped but I didn't.  I really prayed then and I asked God to help me and I felt in my heart that I should do this and that He would equip me.  The breakout session went great.  The women responded and the wife of the seminar team said it was fantastic.  I did nothing.....but God showed up.  I told the women right up front I was divorced and had a tension filled marriage for years and years.  I made a lot of mistakes and that this time around....we both were so committed to a Godly marriage.  On the Friday we had some homework.  To select off a sheet from 100 choices to pick around 10 ways we liked to be shown love from our spouse.  That was a little hard because my husband (the best man ever) did 90% already!  He is just so wonderful.  He said the same thing about me but I was quick to inform him that he was so easy to love and to show love too.  The other homework was to write down things we needed to ask forgiveness for.....hard stuff.  David so sweetly said, "You have nothing to write down."  But I did have a couple of things I felt I needed to ask forgiveness for and he had a couple.  I forgave him, of course because he is just such a wonderful man.  We came away from the seminar aware and reminded of what really matters in this life that God so richly blesses.  I told the ladies to do for their husbands,  clean up for him, pick up after him, cook for him, listen to him and want to be with him.  All these things seem so "old timey" to young women nowadays but.....they are Godly.  There is a course for everything in this world but one thing we so desperately need in this world is good, old fashioned "Housewife" school.  Even if you work a full time job you still are a wife and you still have a house.  Our husbands do countless things for us wives that go unseen and unsaid.  So turn his socks, empty his pockets before washing, cook his favorite dinner and for Pete's sake.....wear something different besides an old ratty t-shirt and floral pajama pants to bed!!!  That goes a long way and causes absolutely no stress to your lives together.  Is he not worth it??  Young women today are so pounded by this world to grab for their rights and to fight.  I found this Pin on Pinterest the other day and it really sums up what I want to say:


Women should not follow the world.  They should be tender, kind, refined, with faith, goodness in their hearts, with virtue and pure.

This is what matters

No comments: