My Babies

My Babies

Wednesday, March 8, 2017

What's wrong with kids today?

What's wrong with kids today?  this is a question we adults hear all the time.  Since I work with little kids I have a few insights as to the answer.  Ready???  Their parents.  That's what is wrong.  And not just their parents....all the adults around them.  Their teachers (yikes...I'll get in trouble for that) their daycare providers. And for the most part all the adults in these children's lives.  We expect them to be little adults.  Huge responsibility is placed on the heads and shoulders of 5 year olds.  As I watch the kids at school I see 25 five year old babies take complete care of themselves at lunch.  Not one person helps them open anything.  Helps them dump all their trash.  Helps them clean up a spill.  Or if they do all they do is yell at them.  They are 5.  I see little kids get off the bus, all sleepy eyed and moving at a snails pace.  They come into breakfast at school and their shoes are on the wrong feet.  Their shirts are on backwards or mis-buttoned and the clothes they have on look and smell like they just came out of the dirty clothes hamper.  Where are the adults that are supposed to get them ready???  I know I am a dinosaur but when I was little my mother fed me breakfast.  She laid out my clothes which were clean.  I did not get a choice. She made sure I had a lunchbox with lunch in it or money to pay for my lunch at school.  My hair was not just combed but "fixed" every single school day of my life.  She took care of all the little things for me.  She checked my bookbag for notes and papers to sign.  Not me....I was a child.  And you know what???  I grew up fine.  I am a responsible adult.  I hold down a job and I can tie my own shoes.  Where are the adults in these little children's lives?  Now here goes the rant......they are on their phones, their tablets, looking at twitter, facebook, instagram and all sorts of things social.  They are staggering out of bed to barely say goodbye as they shove their babies out the door to catch the bus.  Telling their kids to just charge their lunch and maybe someone will share their snack with you at snack time.  Then they yell at the kids when they didn't get their papers out for the parent to sign the night before.  Or they yell at the kids because they need field trip money.  So these poor babies start their days off with a swift kick to their self-esteem.  Think you are making them responsible???  You're not.  You are making them feel unloved, unwanted, uncared for and the so very much are undeserving of that.  Our children are gifts.  Gifts from God that are yours for a short time.  They are on loan to us to shape and to mold into Christ-followers and to love and care for.  Not to dump on society or to just toss them around.  We have so much to answer for in this life.  I do.  You do.  As for me, I sure do not want to answer to the Lord for being a shoddy, irresponsible parent and now grandparent.  What's wrong with kids today?  Why don't we take the time to ask them.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

I am in total agreement with you on this sister... These children need real attention and these adults need to grow up and be parents.