My Babies

My Babies

Thursday, August 7, 2014

VBS Worker or Prison Warden???

This week has been VBS at my church.  In short that stands for Very Bad Situations...  I mean that too.  This is my 26th year with VBS and I am sad to say it will be my last for a while.  The disrespect of children today is unreal.  My group consists of 10 kids from the ages of rising second graders to rising fourth graders.  I have had to do nothing but fuss and correct every single minute of every single day so far.  My helper was so upset by the behavior of the kids today she is not coming tomorrow.  I don't blamer her one bit.  An example of their behavior:  Yesterday we asked one of the girls to come and join in the games and their playtime.  she has yet to participate in one.  She flat out refused.  She was asked eleven times.  11 TIMES.  That is 10 more than I would have asked my own children growing up.  Instead she just wanted to play with someones hair or do what ever she wanted to do.  We took her to the leader and ultimately she got exactly what she wanted.  She didn't have to play or participate in anything if she didn't want to.  That is what we are raising today.  Kids who get to do what they want.  No consequences no actions that may cause them to do something they choose not to do.  This drives me crazy.  On one hand we teach them that they are to respect and do what their teachers say but we do not enforce this at all.  All the kids in my group go to the daycare at my church and they are required to come to VBS.  I have never said stop running, stop touching all the decorations hanging from the ceiling, stop kicking the back of the pews, stop hitting, stop talking when we are praying.  I think I have said stop 17 million times in four days.  Either I am just too old or these children are just in desperate need of an old fashioned trip to the woodshed.  My little grand daughters are coming to our preschool VBS and I asked their teachers if they are listening.  At that age they are still trying so hard to please and really do listen.  Praise God for that.  Once they get into school is where they seem to go nuts.  My helper asked me today what in the world is wrong with these kids??  I told her that sadly most are dropped off at 6:30 in the morning and picked up at 6:30 at night.  they eat dinner in the car from a bag or eat in front of a TV or in their rooms.  Parents are on the computer, the phone, the Ipad or watching TV.  Some households this isn't the case but the majority.....it is.  I asked the children where do you eat supper?  Most said in the living room in front of the TV.  a couple in their rooms.  Why would your 8 year old kid eat in their bedroom?  Their behavior screams for discipline.  I am absolutely worn out after these past four days.  I am mad at myself on one hand for even thinking that I just can't stand another year at VBS but on the other I just think I do more harm than good.  I just think I am so mean because all I have done is correct and fuss and threaten and frown!!  I have spoken with many of the workers and they all feel the same way.  Especially the people of my age group.  We just did things different.  Please parents....wise up and do a better job at raising your children to be better listeners, be respectful and to respect places.  The kids are terrible to their surroundings.  They throw trash on the floor and leave it.  They stomp all over decorations.  They kick the back of the pews and just have no respect for the church building itself.    I know I sound really angry....and I suppose I am to some extent.  I should not really be mad at the kids but at their parents and the society we have created and allowed.  I don't like playing everyone is a winner and no body really loses.  Because in the real world we have all been a loser now and then and occasionally a winner too.  With all this ranting and raving I must sound like the warden at the local prison.....and today I sure feel like it!

No comments: