My Babies

My Babies

Thursday, June 14, 2012

The Well

Last night was our first week of Bible study after we read our first chapter of our new book "The Well" by Mark Hall.  We are trying out a book discussion format and I think the first night went pretty good.  I hope many more will join in the discussion as the weeks go by and we discover the many different "holes" in our lives.  In each chapter there are some really profound statements that are made.  The great thing about this study is these statements  are individualized.  What really strikes me may not strike another reader.  Is that not just how our Savior works??  He loves us all but still He individualizes each one of us.  The book tells us that He pursues us.  Pursues me.  Just me.  How precious is that???  There are a few questions that go with each chapter.  For this week we studied John 4: 1- 45...The Samaritan Woman.  This is a woman who is alone.  She approaches the town well at noon.  Long after all the other women gather water for the day.  In a big gaggle all giggly, whispering, eyeing each other.  The first gossip hole.  But this woman goes it alone.  She has no friends.  There isn't anyone helping her.  All this makes this burden even heavier and harder to carry back to her home.  Now before you get to hard on this woman, think.  How different is she from me?  I may not have had many husbands.  I don't live with a man that I am not married to but I do have other sins that I am cumbered with in my life.  I often go to the well alone.  This woman breaks my heart.  She hates her life.  We know this because of the way she grabs at the offer of living water from Jesus.  Grabs at it before she even knows it isn't literal water.  Anything so she wouldn't have to come back to this well.  How sweet Jesus tells her about His water.  One lady said last night that while we all need to come to the well it really does us no good unless we drink from the well.  Deep and thirstily.  To satisfy our deepest thirsts.  Another lady said that the Samaritan woman danced all around the topic but Jesus just cut right to the point.  How often do I dance with my sin when I know Jesus wants me to just cut to the point?  One thing I thought about later.  In our Christian walk to the Well it does matter that we drink it in but it also matters what we drink with.  Am I using a cup, a spoon, an old fashioned dipper, a bucket??  Sometimes it depends on my current circumstances.  But to really quench my deep desire for water I need to drink heavily and often.  When I am dry in my spiritual life, I need to drink.  When I am weary, I need to drink.  When we are physically thirsty dehydration is already setting in.  This is why doctors say we need to drink often and lots of water.  In my spirit I need to drink often and lots.  Nothing satisfies like Living Water.

No comments: