My Babies

My Babies

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Auction

Today I went to an auction with my dear friend Kelley.  It is her birthday today and to celebrate we went out to breakfast and spent the rest of the day at this auction.  We got some neat things.  Both of us purchased quilts that had interesting patterns and were handmade.  Kelley bought a great display case to place the pottery she and her husband make in their basement shop.  They make gorgeous stuff too.  I bought about 300 mason canning jars.  My kids say I am a hoarder and I think they may be right!!  I bought these jars because one day Megan will get married and she wants a very rustic wedding.  One of the themes we want to use is canning jars.  She wants to use them as drinking glasses and in the decorations.  I have seen so many things on pinterest using them that I can't wait to get started on stuff!  While at the auction I got to thinking about all the stuff we gather in a lifetime.  My house is full of stuff.  There are many things that I treasure and love.  Nothing of any real monetary value but deep sentimental value.  But...one day I will no longer be here.....and what will happen to my stuff???  Will anyone else want it?  Treasure it like I do???  Or will it find its way in a box that someone will bid $5 for?  Will strangers run their fingers through it and pick it up, turn it over, fling it down?  Only to rifle through something else.  In some of the boxes of jars today I found a whole box of family photos.  Discarded.  So sad to me.  I found a term paper that the daughter had written 30 years ago in the 5th grade on the state of Idaho.  Why save it for 30 years only to throw it away in a box of trash that nobody wants.  This whole idea of "stuff" made me really think as I was unpacking my car.  What do I really treasure while I am here on this earth?  My children.  My grandchildren.  My family.  My friends.  I treasure my memories of when my babies were small.  I am learning to treasure each day with Piper.  She is growing so fast.  I am learning to treasure my friends more and more.  They are so valuable to me.  Stuff??  It is replaceable.  And in the long haul, who cares?  It is just stuff.  I realize that many people place great value on buying, buying and buying more stuff.  Cars, boats, houses, motorhomes, vacation homes, bigger homes.....more,more,more.  But the real question is why.  What hole are they trying to fill.  When we obtain new things in just a few months they are old things.  So we run out and get another new thing.  Then another.  It is life in the hamster wheel.  I think that after mulling this over today I will pay closer attention to my real earthly treasures.  The only ones that I may have in heaven.  My family and my friends.  Nothing there is ever auctioned to the highest bidder.  The price was already paid.

No comments: