My Babies

My Babies

Friday, May 14, 2010

My Favorite Book...EVER!

Hey Y'all,

Over at "Kelly's Korner" she is asking us to post our favorite books. I wish I was better at blogging so I could put her pretty "Show Us Your Life" emblem but I am pretty pitiful at this blogging thing. I tried to put on a playlist that was super cool like my friend Tracy but it confused me to know end so I will be calling her pronto. But I digress.... My favorite all time book in the entire world is.....

The Scarlet Ibis by James Hurst

I adore this book. I first read it in my fifth grade reader in Mrs. Huie's room. It moved me so much that I sat in class and just sobbed. I told my mother about it later that day and cried my eyes out again. For years and years I thought about that story but never could find it again. I was just so sad!!! Then low and behold I found a bookstore in Winston-Salem that specialized in finding hard to find books. I called the sweet man who owned it and in two days he found a copy of "The Scarlet Ibis" in a warehouse in Chicago. I gave him a grand total of 8.00, including shipping and about ten days later the blessed book arrived. I immediately read it to my own children. They thought it was sad too but did not have the gut reaction that I did. I suppose that is what makes books so personal to people. Some do not impress on our hearts at all and some just consume you. This book is about the struggle of a brother with the disabilites of his younger brother. I am even tearing up as I think about it! When my oldest daughter was a freshman in high school I saw that the story was included in her freshman English book. If you have a high school student or a local library I encourage you to read this tragic story. I promise..it will change you.

Bless Y'all,

Cindy

1 comment:

Tracy said...

I don't know how I got the music on there, I wanted on the side and at the bottom, if you figure out how to work it let me know..HA!!!!