My Babies

My Babies

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Faithful Friend

Hey Y'all,

I made a decision this week that was one of the hardest I have had to make. I had my faithful old beagle, Hunter, put down. He was almost 15 years old and had a host of old dog problems. He has survived 2 strokes, cancer, broken tail, falling off a flight of stairs and poor thing buried 2 beagle wives. His cancer had returned and he had terrible arthritis of his hips and I had to pick him up many times daily until he got his footing. Heat was a real problem to him. He truly hated hot weather his whole life. I knew he was starting to suffer. Monday and Tuesday of this week was in the upper 80's and he was exhausted and ready for bed at 4:00 in the afternoon. I called my favorite vet in the whole world, Dr. Jim, and he agreed with my decision. Bless his heart, he has seen me crying more often than I can count. Hunter went so peacefully. It was really like he went to sleep. I know in my heart that he is playing with his former buddies, Lady, Lilly and Taco. I am sure he isn't finished kissing his wives, Jill and Joyce, either. Especially Joyce. I have never seen 2 dogs love each other like those two. They were constantly licking each others faces. Always had there heads together like an old couple whispering secrets. When she died she had her little head placed on her paws by his dog house and he just kept looking at her then looking at me as if to say,"Fix her please, Mom, please fix her!" I'm crying so hard now I can hardly breathe. I know alot of people do not believe pets go to heaven but I believe they most certainly do. God loves us so much that he gave us dominion over these creatures. They love us, obey us and go the extra mile to please us. Why not place them in heaven? That is an argument that I will never concede. Here is a photo I took of Hunter just yesterday. It took me I don't know how many tries to get him to stand up for a minute. I was crying hard then too knowing this would be his last picture.



My Faithful Friend...Hunter




Bless Y'all,

Cindy

1 comment:

Priscilla said...

Ohhh, that is just soo hard; we had to have our precious little baby girl kitty, Rudybelle, put to sleep two years ago...it was the hardest thing. She had a tumor around her heart and there just wasn't anything to be done for it. My hubby and I both grieved so hard for that little kitty girl...I still miss her. I have two new kitties now but they will never take the place of Rudy. People that haven't ever been that attached to a pet will never understand the grief and pain that losing them causes. I am thinking of you during this hard time...