My Babies

My Babies

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

When you're in a scary movie.....

Hey Y'all,

I think all of us have either been to a theater or seen a scary movie on TV. You know the kind where you are screaming at the dumb (almost always blonde) girl to not go into the room, woods, closet, basement, warehouse..whatever. What does she always do??? She goes right on in like she owns the place. She then usually proceeds to fall and break her ankle and then crawl while a combo of tears and snot course down her face only to be hacked, shot or stabbed to death. I am one of those people who yells at the screen, "Don't go in...RUN! RUN!!!!!" She never listens.
Yesterday I was that girl. Yes, I am blonde. I went to this hardwood flooring discount place that a friend told me about. She said, "They have real cheap wood and laminate flooring. They are real nice guys. They are Mexican but speak great English, she says". When I get there a Chinese guy is in the store. I explain to him that this store was reccommended to me because they sold discontinued or salvaged flooring. He stared at me for a full minute. This is a long time when you are looking at a stranger. So I inch towards the door and say, "Maybe I have the wrong place." "You meet me in back! Drive through gate! Go in warehouse! I show you floor!" he shouts at me. So what do I do? Of course, I get in my SUV and drive through the gate go around back and low and behold I get out of my car and stand in a deserted parking lot in the back of a warehouse. At this point I am sure people are screaming, "Don't go in. RUN!". Do I listen?...oh no, I walk right on in. Once inside the Chinese guy is speaking to a Mexican guy. The Mexican guy has his hands in his pockets. I am thinking in my head, "Didn't I just see this on a Law & Order episode last week?" Strangely, The Chinese guy is speaking Chinese to the Mexican guy who answers in Spanish. They seem to understand each other. All I know is my time is short and I better start backing up. Then they turn and say, "Which floor do you like?" I look around and point one out. At this point I would have taken plywood. The Mexican guy shows me a redwood flooring sample. I respond with...now get this. "I don't really like that one how about something in oak?" Am I crazy!!!? The Chinese guy says, "Here, how about this one?" I looked at it. It was nice. So I said, "Sold." They loaded my SUV, I paid the men and off I drove. Afterwards, I realized they were really some pretty nice guys especially dealing with a ditzy blonde like me. Next time though, I am taking a friend. When I break my ankle I'll need her to drag me out. Any takers?

Bless Y'all,

Cindy

2 comments:

Tracy said...

I am assuming no red flags were flying in you brain or you would have never gone in, you'll have to take me next time.

Kelley said...

I am with Tracy. Although I would have stayed to check out the floor and of course getting a deal is most important...so maybe Tracy could drag us both out:)